Friday, October 12, 2007

...to stupefy themselves...

“People go to church for the same reasons they go to a tavern: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy."

-- Mikhail Bakunin


This is probably one of the funniest quote I've ever came across which I also find most incredibly true - as I can personally testify for that. I am amazed myself with how far we're willing to deceive ourself in order to feel insulated, belonged and happy in a community.


"This has to be said; so let it now be said. Whoever you are, whatever in other respects your life may be, my friend, by ceasing to take part in the public worship of God, as it now is (with the claim that it is the Christianity of the New Testament), you have constantly one guilt the less, and that a great one: you do not take part in treating God as a fool."

-- Soren Kierkegaard

2 comments:

Timothy said...

Never heard that kierkegaard quote before, where is it from?

lupdup said...

It's among the "Articles from the Fatherland" series, the title of the article being 'This Must Be Said—So Let It Be Said'.

I didn't exactly read the articles, but the quote was quoted in multiple sources.