Monday, September 26, 2005

SEM 4 BEGINS

Life in IMU, break into semesters:

Sem 1 - Started with anticipation & anxiety. New learning enviroment, staying away from home, new found freedom, new friends, new exam systems... One of the most memorable time of my life.

Sem 2 - Frantic coping with unfamiliar syllabus. Unlike the earlier syllabus in sem 1 which has been taught for the past few years in secondary school & pre-U, subjects like General Pathology, Immunology, Microbiology and Pharmacology are totally new sunjects to us. Took quite some time before I managed to adapt to these whole new stream of knowledge.

Sem 3 - Chronic long-term exam stress. Struggling vainly to memorise all the details of everything we've learned in Sem 2 and the current sem in preparation to face the infamous EOS 3, the 'Great Filter' which determines who among us will ultimately become a doctor (at least that's wat the seniors say). In the end, I can't managed to cram everything into my head in time for the exam... yet thank God I made it thru!

And now...

Sem 4 - Juz started a week ago. There's no new environment, no new fields of knowledge, no major exams to worry about... and therefore the total absence of any sort of challenges! I have been slacking all the way since the first lecture, and I still kinda dread going to the lectures in the near future... Argh, I need some form of stimulus!

I was hoping that coming back to IMU will be more... dramatic. Meeting up with friends that I haven't meet for almost 2 months, checking out enthusiastically what everyone has been doing for the past 7 weeks and share some of my experiences with them, and not to forget meeting all the new faces of the new Sem 1 students...

But it turns out as if everyone juz picked up the burden they've left behind somewhere after EOS 3 has ended and continue on with their journey to become a doctor... It is as if that wasn't any 7 weeks gap in between the sems, as if nothing has happened since we rejoice over our results! I find it so... odd and dull! Sheesh...

Hopefully I'll be able to built the momentum up as the Endocrine System Assessment approaches... in 3 weeks time. >=)

No comments: