Friday, November 26, 2004

WARDROBE TRAGEDY

WARNING! Although I'll do my very best to be discreet, the current post may contains possible spoilers to those who have yet to watch Pixar's The Incredibles.



Remember Edna's lecture on the hazards of wearing a cape for superheroes in Pixar's The Incredibles? I believe all who have watched it must have really enjoyed the hilarious scene... Imagine my shock when I found out that there was a similar incident that occured in real life - Isadora Duncan... and her scarf. Click here to read about the tragic accident.

A pretty sad & shocking way to die right? I guess I'll nv look at the cape hazards scene the same way again...

Oh and there's this line by Mr Incredibles that I really like:

They [society] keep finding new ways to celebrate mediocrity.


Indeed, I find our society's demands on conformity detestable. Why do we force ourselves to conform to the norm, and perceive all eccentricities or unique individualities as alien, unacceptable or harmful? Aren't many of the brightest people in history eccentrics? So why do people admire these great people for their contribution to society, and yet "persecute" people who has the potential to become one of these "elite"? Shouldn't we be celebrating our unique individualities instead??

No comments: