Friday, December 10, 2004

MED SCHOOL LIFE

A couple of ppl have approached me for the past few weeks to ask me about medical studies. One asked me whether study in IMU is good, and the other asked me if studying medicine is suitable for her daughter, and both asked if studying medicine is tough... Honestly, I find it very hard to answer all of their questions...

How's education in IMU?
Well, I can't really say it's bad, but it's not really terrific either. All I can tell them is that there's lots of independent studies involved... but isn't that bcuz I nv pay sufficient attention during lectures in the 1st place? And could I say the education level here is bad when I have studied here for almost a year already?

How's the lecturers in IMU?
I guess there's some good ones and some awful ones... I can't really say bcuz I nv have a good standard to compared to! But when my friend asked me whether izzit better for her to study in IMU or another med programme somewhere else, I really dunno wat to say... But I'm still adamant that we need to study anatomy using cadavers and not atlases and models, which sadly IMU dun provide.

Is life in med school tough?
To say no will be an outright lie. I've go thru so much stress in juz my very 1st year that I seemed to be almost immuned and used to it now (and to think that the worst is yet to come!)... So all I can say is be prepared to live a stressful life if you wanna enter med school, for stress will almost definitely become a normal part of a med student's life... But isn't this all due to my last minute studies???

Do u medicine is suitable for my daughter?
Whoa, that's one question that I definitely can't answer... Wat it takes to be a good doctor? Even I myself dun have a single idea yet so far... Wat is required from a med student? Consistent study time? Dedication? Discipline? Empathy? Intelligence? I have no idea...

I really feel compelled to enlighten them on these issues, since who else knows better on these issues other than med students such as myself? Yet at the same time, I feel inadequate to give them a good answer... I can't discourage them to aspire to become a doctor if I really feel so much for the profession of my choice rite? Yet I have to be honest to them to about the stressful life of a med student, and a part of me is compelled to warn them against entering med school so that they dun have to go thru all these stress!

So how am I supposed to answer them?! Argh...

No comments: