Friday, July 29, 2005

THE LONG-DELAYED MEETING

Finally went to the dentist yesterday. I have been having gum bleeding since one month ago, but I didn't go to see a dentist until now bcuz I wanna be focused on my studies. And after the exam, I was so caught up with all the fun that I totally neglected my teeth's condition...

That was until the 2nd day I was in Genting. There's a swelling at the posterior part of my front teeth, and the pain spreads through the anterior part of my teeth. It was a horrible, throbbing pain, ranging from annoying to almost unbearable from time to time. Me and Keat tried to look around for a dentist around the Sungei Wang/ Berjaya Times Square area, but with no luck - all the dentists have closed their clinics. And so it was yesterday that we went around Sri Petaling, scouting for a dentist...

The 1st dentistry clinic we've been to was fully booked for the day, and so after making an appointment for the next day, we went hunting for another dentist, since we both want to settle this ASAP. Found another one near Secret Recipe Sri Petaling, it's a Dr Teo I think, and went straight for it. After waiting for about 15 minutes or so, I finally meet the dentist... Someone I should have been meeting long ago...

And ya, the dentist recognized my problem almost immediately after I've opened my mouth - gingivitis, or inflammation of the gums, in layman's terms. Worse, he found 2 teeth that has begun to decay at the posterior part of my lower teeth set, which he say he could get it fixed next week. Then he explained to me about my problem:

The foodstuff have been stucked in the gap between my teeth, espeacially the front (anterior) parts, and therefore causes the gums to be inflammed due to the bacterial activity. This doesn't happened suddenly, it takes years of accumulation of all the foodstuff in the gaps to cause that. I embarassingly confessed to him that I nv go for regular checkups throughout all my life (come to think about it, I've only seen dentists twice in my life before this, both incidents also due to removal of a falling tooth).

He eventually proceed to tell me wat he's going to do to me: cleaning up my teeth. Sounds harmless rite? I was totally fine about it until he show me the tool he's going to use on me: it's a thin sharp hook-like tool, and he says that it will vibrate as he insert it between my teeth to dig out all the tartar... I hesitantly nod my head, opened my mouth and... well, embrace my doom...

The sound the tool make was unnerving, but all was fine at first. It was a bit uncomfortable when the vibrating hook thingie went in and out of the gaps between my teeth, but the spraying water tool the dentist's assistant was holding it provide a mild relief over the pain... But when the tool was inserted into the areas where my gums swell... The pain was... horrible. I have to do all I can to distract myself from the pain, shut tight my eyes, and even went as far as to slightly lift up my feet. I have to suppress myself from screaming from all the pain! Thank God the dentist noticed and gave me breaks in between to rinse my mouth and cool down a bit... Gosh you should see the amount of blood coming out of my mouth! Along the way, he also showed me some of the calculi he managed to remove from my teeth: foodstuff that has been solidified into a small black stone after a long period of time!

After 30 minutes or so, it all finally ended... The doctor started educating me about my problem, and teached me the method to effectively brush out all the disgusting things stucked in the gaps. I must say that I'm really impressed with his aura of professionalism. I nv felt as if he's talking down on me throughout the entire meeting, and he has been really gentle and sympathetic when he's cleaning my teeth with the horrible vibrating watever. Then he prescibed me with a special toothpaste which will promote gum healing and also a bottle of gargling antiseptics.

I left the clinic with a metallic taste all over my mouth, a numbing sensation all over my gum and RM 80 poorer... But I'm really satisfied with the entire treatment thing la. My first impression of the dentist is really good, and... well, ya, I'll probably be seeing him again next week to get my decayed teeth fixed... Hmmmm... X(

No comments: