Sunday, November 27, 2005

1ST SIGHT OF A CADAVER

Finally! After studying medicine for almost 2 years, I finally lay my sight upon the 1st cadever I've ever seen in my life!



Quite an eye-opener trip to UKM really, seeing all the dissected bodies for the 1st time. It's really great that I can finally actually feel all the textures of the muscles and organs after studying them using books and models for 2 years. Got to see an enlarged testicle too, due to hydrocoele. And the prostate gland is much smaller than I imagined them to be! Lol.

The solution they use to preserve the bodies really is nauseating though. It reminds me of soured bread, but much stronger. I felt like vomiting after I was at the dissecting hall for about an hour or so! Lol. Anyway, I'm glad that I didn't need to learn anatomy using cadavers: atlasses and models are so much more convenient lol.

Oh I forgot to mention: this is the 1st time I ever drove to the heart of KL too! That's bcuz I missed the bus to UKM! Lol. And whoever that pass the form around should be spanked for writing the location as Hospital UKM instead UKM - those 2 places are really really FAR apart wei! Lol. One's near Cheras while the other is at the KL City Centre! Lol.

Having said all those, I sure do hope that I can get to see a fresh cadaver dissection one day, instead of those which has been soaked in formalin (or watever they use) for decades. Maybe I'll get to see some in the forensics department during my clinical phase... I sure hope I do! Somehow dead patients are so much more cooperative than the living ones... Lol.

No comments: