Sunday, January 30, 2005

HUMAN

"There was a time, when the sun was shining bright
So I went down to the beach to catch me a tan.
Then the next thing I knew, a wave 20 feet high
Came and washed your whole country away.
And all at once, you can hear the screaming chinks.
And no one was saved from the wave.
There were Africans drowning, little Chinamen swept away.
You can hear God laughing, 'Swim you bitches swim.'

[Chorus]"So now you're screwed. It's the tsunami,
You better run and kiss your ass away. Go find your mommy.
I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head.
And now your children will be sold. Child slavery."

The above song, entitled the "Tsunami song", was played in a particular radio station in the US a few weeks ago, with the melody of "We are the world". It isn't the blatant racism that shock me... I'm completely dumbstruck but how can people make fun of such an awful tragedy that have killed 200,000 people and leave millions without home and other needs. Wat was the DJ thinking when she airred this song?! How would she feel if there's a "Sept 11 song" with lyrics like "The whites were falling from the heights, screaming as they were thrown down burning, you can hear the angels sing burn u devils burn"?!

I myself am incredibly saddened by the Sept 11 incident and the tsunami tragedy, and when I saw how people all over the world donates and give voluntary aids to the victims, I'm so touched that I actually have a tiny hope in the humanity when once I thought that we're a selfish and self-destructive species. But this song... sigh...

This is wat I honestly think: as much as the DJ has apologised for playing that song, it's too late to change a fact: She's not qualified to be known as a human being.

No comments: