Tuesday, December 06, 2005

HARRY POTTER 4



Juz watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with my sis and her frens. And the verdict? It's really really good. Not many 2-hours-plus-movies can hold my full attention throughout the entire length of the movie, but this one did, and that's one helluva praise. Funny how many of many of my frens disliked it though.

The only people I can think of who dislike the movie would be the purists, i.e. ppl who are so in love with the book that the resent every single eliminated/ changed/ simplified details made on the movie. A fren of mine cursed about how the entire Quidditch World Cup tournament is totally left out in the movie, and others on how Hermione is supposed to only look pretty when she dressed up to the ball, not from the very beginning of the series (wait that has nothing much to do with plot changes... nvm).

Personally, I'm GRATEFUL that the director has push out all those redundant side-stories that contribute absolutely nothing to the main plot. Honestly, I'm really tired of the whole Quidditch thing already. There's a reason why all sports are played in a 2-dimensional field: it's pretty hard to follow a game where ppl fly all over in a 3-dimensional game field playing some pseudo-soccer game. It's amusing in the 1st movie, but if they gonna show more of it in the future movies, I'll refuse to watch it in the cinemas. Lol.

Speaking bout abandoning stale elements, I love how Mike Newell, the director, focus more on the antics and personalities of the characters to inject life into the movies instead of over-relying on special effects or some magical elements in the school. A few supporting characters, such as Neville Longbottom and the Weasley twins, are given more screen time and leave a much stronger impression than they ever did with the last 3 movies combined. Seeing how the main characters react as they entered their puberty stage is fascinating too: I nv feel much for the characters b4, but seeing how Hermione break down at the stairs after the ball is one real angsty scene! Lol.

The movies also have a wide range of moods: the comedic scenes are amusing, the action scenes intense, the characters' interaction scenes are full of teenage angst, and the darker elements of the movie are truly sinister. I guess that is the main reason why HP4 is a good movie: the director did a marvelous job balancing all the different elements in the movie without bogging down the pace with some stupid Quidditch match. =P

(MINOR SPOILER WARNING!!!)

That being said, if there's one flaw that I find in the movie, it would be the lack of emotional impact following a character's death. I think that more time should be spent to flesh out the character earlier in the movie, so that his sudden unexpected death would leave an impact on the audience. It's weird to watch how the whole school mourn for a single kid when the audience juz take it as yet another plot point and are completely not bothered by it. They should add more drama to his death scene! Lol.

(SPOILER ENDS)

Overall, HP4 is one of the best movie I've watch this year, and it is consistently engaging throughout the entire 2 hours and 20 minutes of its screen time. Definitely worth a watch in the cinema!

* * * * * *


Now, I wanna say something that has nothing to do with the review of the movie. In one of the scene in the movie, Harry Potter (played by Daniel Radcliffe) has to immerse a golden egg into a hot bath in order to get the next clue for the next trial that is coming ahead. Throughout the entire scene, only one alarming thought keeps on drifting around in my head: "Shit this Radcliffe kid has been working out hard!!!"

And I was really bothered and annoyed for the next 15 minutes or so. Here we have this bratty British kid (i assume he's bratty bcuz he's so filthy rich now) who is currently the richest teen in the UK and all... yet he has the time and determination to train his physique to wat it is now in the movie!!! And here I am, with time to kill, and wat did I do about my weight? Next to nothing! Argh... It really bugs me that a kid could do so much better than a guy like me! Eeeesh... I really have to do something BIG now!!!! >=@

...

Yes I'm juz plain JEALOUS!!! @#*&^%!

No comments: