Thursday, February 24, 2005

SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK ALIEN

The breath of the morning
I keep forgetting.
The smell of the warm summer air.

I live in a town
where you can't smell a thing,
you watch your feet
for cracks in the pavement.

Up above
aliens hover
making home movies
for the folks back home,

of all these weird creatures
who lock up their spirits,
drill holes in themselves
and live for their secrets.

They're all uptight, uptight,
uptight, uptight,
uptight, uptight.

I wish that they'd sweep down in a country lane,
late at night when I'm driving.
Take me on board their beautiful ship,
show me the world as I'd love to see it.

I'd tell all my friends but they'd never believe me,
They'd think that I'd finally lost it completely.
I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life.
They'd shut me away.
But I'd be alright, alright,
I'd be alright,
I'm alright.

I'm just uptight, uptight,
uptight, uptight,
uptight, uptight,
uptight, uptight,
uptight.


Subterranean Homesick Alien, by Radiohead. Of all songs that I listen to, this is probably the one I can best relate to. The overwhelming sense of alienation, the longing to show others what they have missed for their whole life, the despair that results from rejection, the self comfort (arguably self-deception) that "it's OK" after all the frustration, and the need for escapism from the mundane world we live in...

The usage of aliens in the song are rather creative, in my opinion. It's quite amusing to picture a bunch of UFO flying close to the surface of Earth, filming home videos for their "folks back home" of the weird species who hides their secrets eventhough the secrets are slowly killing them inside.

The part that I felt most involved in the whole song is when Thom Yorke start singing the "I'd tell all my friends but they'd never believe me..." part. There is so much passion in the way he sings it, as if he's desperate for someone who could see the world the way he sees it. And the most saddening part would have to be after "I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life...". The sinking feeling that comes after that defines the very theme of the song: alienation. Quite fitting dun u think? A songs about aliens dealing with alienation...

Then comes the sweeping chorus. The rich, lush, epic e-guitar soundscape, swirling, rolling, falling, while Thom Yorke convince himself that "I'll be alright...". U can almost hear the sarcasm in his voice, as if he's disgusted about the futility of his self comfort. And when he sings "I'm juz uptight", his soundscape at the back almost threaten to sweep his presence away. It's really wonderful to listen to that beautiful sweeping soundscape, but the loneliness of his voice can be noticed easily. It's as if he lived in his own wonderful fantastical world, but is nv ecstatic or happy about it bcuz he's the only one dwelling in it...

Sometimes I can't help but wonder... When till I can find another inhabitant in my own world?? I've been searching for one for the longest time, but somehow I juz can't find any...

No comments: