Saturday, August 14, 2004

BACK TO MY OLD SCHOOLS

I was invited to attend a farewell ceremony of Mr. James Tan (the add. math genius & an inspirational Christian) by the Christian Union from my sec. school. Finally I got to really explore the oh-changed-so-much surroundings of my school. The number of students in the afternoon classes seemed to be doubled (my guess is there are about 2000 ppl now juz in the afternoon classes!!), and I finally got to walk the newly-built "bridge" extending from Block A to Block C (used to think the headmaster merely toyed with the idea of building that bridge, and imagine my surprise when I finally see it came into existense right b4 my eyes!). The library still looked much the same as b4, but I'm glad to see that all the system has been computerized now. My batch was the 1st to start the gargantuan effort to catalogue all the books using the computers! Glad that the new generations will be able to enjoy this privilege that we started!

The number of people attending the farewell ceremony was really impressive! I think there were about 30+ people that have attended it, and about one third of them are ex-members and commitees! Even people who graduated as early as 1998 attended the ceremony! It was a wonderful and sentimental moment then. Mr. James Tan has taught in our school for the last 36 years (he even taught my aunt who is in her forties now!), and much has occured during this period. The saddest moment was when he lost his 19-year-old son when he attempted to save his friend from drowning under the waterfall. I can barely imagined the grief he must have went through, but all the teachers who went to his son's funeral commended that he and his wife were strong and peaceful even then, and were all amazed by the peace and acceptance that God has blessed them. I was surprised to hear to that many ppl heard of Mr. James Tan even b4 they came to my school, for his amazing mathematical abilities is that well known (can't really say I appreciate it... I always hated Maths. Heehee).

When it's Mr. James turn to speak, one part of his speech etched deeply in my head. He says that eventhough he is retiring, his race has not ended yet, and God still has a purpose for him. He asks us to always pray for him, so that he can continue to serve God according to his will. The following verses came to my mind then:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

2 Timothy 4:7-8

Indeed, I will pray that God will continue to use Mr. James as his vessel, all the way until he finishes his race!

Have to skip the refreshment and fellowship time to pick up my sis in from school (coincidentally, my primary school too, and the same school I used to teach for a month in the past). I was seriously thirsty then, so I came down from my car to buy a drink at the canteen. My, all my ex-students were really enthusiatic when they see me! My sis told me how one of them kept asking her how am I now and constantly hoping that I will one day come back to teach them again... Well, as much as I'm "touched" by them, I dun think I will teach in a school ever again in my life... That 1 month was hell to me! But it has been a wonderful experience, and I thank God for it. Ever since then, I have a better admiration on teachers. Believe me, u dunno how tough their job can be, and how much patience is required!

No comments: