Monday, August 23, 2004

BATTLE OF THE BANDS 2004

Although TJ told me about the Battle of the Bands a week earlier, I juz remembered about it a day b4 the actual thing! But thank God I actually made it!! I was a bit reluctant to attend it at first, worrying that it will be a waste of my time and money... Turns out neither is true. In fact, it actually rocks!

There were 10 bands that take part in the competition this year, and although the initial reason I came for the competition was juz to support TJ and his band Versatile, I ended enjoying almost all the bands that are competing. The sound system was awful, and there were times when I can't hear wat the vocalists were singing at all, but still, that dun stopped us from enjoying all the performance (well, almost all). My fav competing band that night was FunkyDogz, cuz they really sound very different compared to the other bands, and man can they play groovy music! I love their version of Jamiroquai's Canned Heat, and the guitar sounded awesome! They truly deserved to be the champion that night!

Well, as for Versatile, I can't really say much, bcuz I can't hear much!!! The sound system was really bad in the 1st half of the show. In fact, I totally missed out TJ's solo, which is seriously a waste. But well, there's plenty of oppurtunities still! So cheer up TJ!!! Also, 1 thing worth mentioning is how excellent the last performance by Larva Eve II was. They performed a medley, which songs that include Paradise City (by Guns N Roses - The vocalist imitated the singing perfectly!), Are You Gonna Be My Girl (by Jet) and many more. I was damn impressed!

Apart from the competing bands, a few local artistes performed too: John's Mistress, Dragon Red, and Disagree. Eventhough I planned to return home earlier (the competition is scheduled to end at 12.30am, but I expected it to end later than that), I stayed back all the way anyway, juz to see all of them performing (I juz dun want to regret missing anything in the future). Turns out I've made the right choice. I'm not very impressed by John's Mistress and Dragon Red, but I kinda like Disagree, and I love their 1st single Crumbs. In fact, I nv knew that it was composed by them until I actually look for it online!

I really enjoyed the whole thing (eventhough I have to stand for 6 hours long, and it was damn hot!), and I'll probably attend next year's Battle of the Bands as well!

No comments: