Saturday, May 14, 2005

ON PERSONALITY TYPE

ENFP (Extraverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving)

...are usually informed generalists, have a broad range of pursuits, basic knowledge about many things, and the ability to hold their own in a conversation about any of them...

...see people's potential for loving, for learning, for making a difference, and they look for ways to nurture and encourage it...

...are screens for people's unarticulated hopes and aspirations... recognize how circumstances may be changed to bring unexpressed potential into play...

...are catalyst... derive great satisfaction from quickening others' potential...

...the flame of an Intuitive enthusiasm blazes only so long... ENPs lose interest in a situation once its import become evident to others...

...a small part of the vision, once realized, suggests the whole thing, and the Intuitives feels no need to consider the matter further...

...have implicit faith in their ability to identify with people...

...capable of identifying with another so completely that they anticipate sentences and take on the person's speech inflections...

...can invest everything they have in... motivating peeple toward a specific goal...

...little patience for administrative detail...

...if they have to make a decision, they want feedback from as broad a range of people as possible...

...shocked and disillusioned when things don't work out as anticipated...

...unless they realize the subjective nature of their own value system, they have no way of understanding people who values are legitimately different from their own...

...ENFP tend to make contact with their inner selves largely in their... faith practice...

...ultimately, ENFP needs more than freedom and oppurtunity... long for intimacy, relationships they can count on, people who will stand by them no matter what the circumstances...


It's really interesting to see how Personality Types, or typology, could categorize personality in a decently accurate manner. Yes, I know that many ppl refuse to believe that there is such a system so great as to be able to classify complex human personality into 16 convenient category, but I nv said that this is the absolute ultimate accurate description of every single being in the world. It is juz a model that categorize ppl into largely predictable personalites, and it is still in the process of developing, after all.

Having said that, the above description of an ENFP, my personality type, does ring true to some of my quirks. Of cuz much of the description are much too general, but hey, everyone is unique, and its the basic characteristics that are so astoundingly accurate (the fact that I'm more impress by the general overview rather than the details is a clue to my Intuitive nature). More importantly, I may have finally found the cause of my lack of enthusiasm lately:

Types who resisted their Intorverted side eventually reach a point where they feel tired and overwhelm, unable to follow through anything. Too much seems to coming to them, and they can't manage all the details.

ENFPs are not mistaken about their perceptions. If they resisted self-reflection, they
are overinvested and overwhelmed. However, they ideas of why this is happening is misplaced. They aren't overwhelmed because there's too much to do or because people expect too much. They're overwhelm because they're constantly changing in response to their circumstances.

It seems to me that the reason why I feel so burned out lately is bcuz I seemed to force-feed myself with all the infomation I need to commit into memory from my studies. All the things that I once find fascinating are slowly becoming repulsive to me. What I need now is a quiet place for thought and reflection, cuz it's difficult for me to address this issue until I got some psychological distance from my enviroment. I hoped to do juz this during the CF Camp in Peacehaven, but my unforeseen appointment as group leader messed things up totally. And where do I find the time now in the hectic sem 3 timetable?!

But this juz can't go on like that. And therefore until I find peace within myself, I shall suspend all my efforts in my studies... And to be honest, I'm not sure if I have sufficient time to do so. Hope I'm not making a mistake here...

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Hey! I think you are correct to take time off. Without breaks we burn out. It makes sense in the long run. It's like not changing the oil in your car, eventually it wears out!

Andy, ENTP.



andy at andrewnorris dot info