Wednesday, September 01, 2004

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS


Finally got to watch Edward Scissorhands after years of searching. I Know that it was aired quite a lot of time in tht TV b4, but somehow I always missed it. Until I bought the DVD today!

Well, now that I've finished watching it, here's the conclusion: I'm very impressed, yet very disappointed of it at the same time. Johnny Depp's performance is superb. I have lots of respect towards him as an actor, but now, I'm officially his fan!!! His character dun talk much in the movie, and when he did, it is mostly juz a few sylables. Yet, the emotion he conveyed thru how he moves his scissor hands and facial expression is juz marvellous. Oh and kudos to Tim Burton for coming up with such an interesting character as Edward Scissorhands! The "feel" of the movie is quite decent too, kinda like a modern fairy tale. The inhabitants of the small town are quite interesting too, with all their manipulation and hypocrisy.

I really enjoyed the first two third of the movie... but when the climax is approaching, a sense of deja vu engulfed me. Edward, after he is wrongly accused and chased for injuring a few of the inhabitants, escaped to his inventor's mansion on the hill. The townpeople then chased him all the way to the mansion, while his love and the villain entered the mansion 1st. A confrontation occured, and the villain is killed as he is pierced by Edward's scissors and fell out of the window... Sounds familiar? Think Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast, when Gaston lead the townfolks to "kill the Beast!". And well, the violent nature in the last part of the movie felt so wrong too, as compared to the earlier funny and charming (and later on, tragic) part... The conclusion is very unsatisfactory too, as there isn't any resolution to the story. The villain is awfully 2-dimensional too...

But 1 thing I noticed about the movie is how the crowd tends to villainize people bcuz of their oddity. For example, Michael Jackson. OK, I admit, he is one WEIRD guy, but I'm stupefied at how easily ppl believe all the "news" about him being a pedophile. Right... So many years have passed and no one mention anything about that, and now that his face is falling apart and he's facing bankcruptcy, bang! Pedophile! Child Abuse! Lawsuits! and all kinds of headlines start to appear. I sincerely doubted if any of the claims are real, and I think that wat these "victims" are trying to do is juz to squeeze money out of poor MJ. And ppl believe the "news" so easily eventhough there's no concrete proof at all for all the lawsuits! People these days... Sigh... I guess there aren't many ppl who sympathise Wacko Jacko, but I for one really pity him for all the slanders that are thrown against him...

Anyway, I wanna thank all my friends that have recommended me this movie. Though I agree with Christabel's comment that it's not worth buying the DVD, I'm still glad I've finally get to watch this much-talked-about movie. Not to mention that I'm really looking forward to more Johnny Depp movie in the future! >=)

No comments: