Monday, September 13, 2004

SLANDERS!!!

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exodus 20:16



A few weeks ago, I read a particular article (I think it's in a newspaper) that sort of resembles the forwarded e-mail message below:

Subject: FWD: Tommy Hilfiger hates us...

Did you see the recent Oprah Winfrey show on
which Tommy Hilfiger was a guest? Oprah asked
Hilfiger if his alleged statements about people of
color were true - he's been accused of saying
things such as "If I had known that African-
Americans, Hispanics and Asians would buy my
clothes, I would not have made them so nice,"
and "I wish those people would not buy my
clothes - they were made for upper-class whites."
What did he say when Oprah asked him if he said
these things? He said "Yes." Oprah immediately
asked Hilfiger to leave her show.

Now, let's give Hilfiger what he's asked for - let's
not buy his clothes. Boycott! Please - pass this
message along.


Well, some of u guys probably read about this too, but the rumour is UNTRUE. Here's Tommy Hilfiger's statement:

I am deeply upset that a malicious and completely false rumor continues to
circulate about me. I create my clothing for all different types of people
regardless of their race, religious or cultural background. I want you to know
the facts so that you are not the victim of a classic "urban myth" that
perpetuates untruths and has no basis in reality. Please read further to learn
the truth.

And here's Oprah Winfrey's statement:

So I want to just set the record straight once and for all. The rumor claims
that clothing designer Tommy Hilfiger came on this show and made racist remarks,
and that I then kicked him out. I just want to say that is not true because it
just never happened. Tommy Hilfiger has never appeared on this show. READ MY
LIPS, TOMMY HILFIGER HAS NEVER APPEARED ON THIS SHOW. And all of [the] people who claim that they saw it, they heard it -- it never happened. I've never even met Tommy Hilfiger.

And here's a link to a letter from the Anti-Defamation League to Tommy Hilfiger.

And so my friends, it's very clear that the rumours are completely baseless. If any of u received an e-mail message like the italicized one above, pls delete it at once and don't forward it. It's nothing but a hurtful, outrageous and scandalous lie!

In addition, I want to remind all readers not to believe in all the forwarded e-mail messages without doing a little research about it first. These are few of the false rumours/ stories I've received from e-mails:

  • A protest against a movie called "Corpus Christi" which portrays Jesus and his disciples as gays from showing to the public. The truth is, no such movie exists. The movie project was authentic, but never got off the ground.
  • The "Bonsai Kitten". I was really shocked when I first received this message, and I stupidly forwarded it before I've done any research on it. It's only a week after I forwarded the bullshit did I realized that it was all a hoax. It's about this company who came up with a new idea for pets: Inserting a kitten into bottles of different shapes in order to let them grow into that particular shape as time passes. They even have a website to strengthen that hoax, but I think the website is down now. Good riddance! It sparked a huge outcry from animal lovers all over the world!
  • The "Missing Day", a favourite among Christian churches bulletin. Here's a link to the message. Well, eventhough some may view this article as inspiring, it is not founded in truth, and therefore should not be circulated.

There are probably more false e-mails out there that I've read, but the above mentioned are the ones that I still remembered clearly now. Well, there's also the many variation of pls-forward-this-message-so-that-this-little-girl-can-receive-donations-from-some-big-company-to-help-her-out-in-her-surgery message, but I'm still a bit stupefied by how brainless some people can be by believing all those lies... Then again, they forwarded them out of sympathy, so I can't really blame them right?

But anyway, click here for a funny (but beware of FOUL languages!!!) post on that particular type of forwarded mail... I really love it! Lol...

Remember guys! Do some research before you forwarded e-mails, espeacially those that seems illogical or slanderous! >=)

No comments: