Saturday, July 31, 2004

BITTERSWEET REMEMBRANCE

Declare this an emergency
Come on and spread a sense of urgency
And pull us through
And pull us through
And this is the end, end
This is the end
Of the world

Muse - Apocalypse Please


I was invited to atten the annual Perasmian Ahli-ahli Baru PBSM today... I went without a high expectation on the performance of the current batch, since lately there seems to be a trend in the drop of quality plaguing all the extra-curriculum societies in secondary schools, probably due to the heavier emphasis on academics by the students. But I was plesently surprised that they did quite a remarkable job!

I'm most impressed with the hiasan (decoration) and cenderamata (souvenirs) committee. They really did an excellent job, and I have to admit that they did a better job in their areas than all the past 6 Perasmian I've been before (including 3 in which I was a commitee too). I did not pay much attention to the kawalan kehormat (Guard of Honour) ceremony (perhaps I'm still hurt about the past... I was the commander of the Guard of Honour once, and the year before that, I was in charged of leading in the reciting the oath), but I guess it's satisfactory. While the (boring) speeches were going on after that, I chatted around with my friends, all bekas now. None of them changed at all! Or at least, none that I noticed. Wonder if that's a good thing... My personality haven't changed much either since I graduated secondary school, though I did learned a lot since then... Guess it will take some time to find out if they've grown or not!

The performances by the new members were not bad either, though a bit inconsistent. The 1st traditional chinese dance is very refreshing, as they perform a totally different dance the same old fan dance so often performed in the past. The "chi ling" performance at the end was quite impressive and amusing too. The choir sang too softly however, and lacks expressions and sincerity. The drama on "Kwang Hua Idol" was juz too cliche and too much slapstick. But overall, not bad! The food was the most disappointing... There were juz too few choices! But since the school authorities have limited the budget (we used to spend RM 1000+ to organize the Perasmian annually) this time around, I guess I couldn't really blame them la...

For all the time I spent there miggling around with the new members and my old pals, I can't help but remembering all the bittersweet (ultimately bitter) experieces I have in the society for the past few years. How I first found somewhere I belong, and all the seniors I looked up to like heroes, and all the glory I gained from my gradual rising in position within the society... and the ultimate pain when I decided that it's best for me to stop being an AJK after suffering much disagreement with the majority. I loved the club so much then, but I juz can't stand all the ugly inner politics, and I'm forced to stop serving the club that gave me so much joy b4 bcuz I juz can't stand the crushing disappointment and bitter humiliation anymore... Sigh... It's kinda odd for me to talk to some of my ex-"colleagues" now, for eventhough I've forgiven them, the pain and the humiliation have scarred me so deeply than I guess I can nv forget them and the people that caused them to me...

Thomas, snap out of it! Stop being so melodramatic! That's so not u! The past is the past now! Bury the hatchet! Look forward to ur bright future! Bla bla bla... Anyway, I really enjoyed the whole ceremony today (though I skip the games part... dun want to get myself sweaty!), and I'm looking forward for the Perasmian next year! Though I'm still kinda hurt on wat that have happened in the past, still I will always cherish the beautiful memories I have b4 I become an AJK. Great job, PBSM SL(Y) 8 Kwang Hua! Keep it up!

No comments: