Saturday, July 31, 2004

PRE-TRIP SYNDROME

Funny, I spent my holidays (well, those that has passed, at least) wishing I'm doing something productive or enjoyable, and now that I'll be going to Tioman for scuba diving on Monday (Or shud I say VERY late Sunday? The bus will leave Pudu around 11.45pm), why am I feeling... reluctant? I dun even have the mood to buy and pack all the stuff that I need! Worse, I'm kinda worry about going there! Maybe it's bcuz this is the 1st time that I'm going for a trip that is not organized completely by someone else, that we dun pay for everything in a package (we'll pay for the accomdation ourselves when we're there, we'll buy for the bus and ferry tickets when we'll there, we'll pay extra if we wanna do another open water diving etc), and any unexpected events may distrupt the fun? Yea, probably...

Also, maybe bcuz it's my parents... I've told them LONG ago that I wanted to do scuba diving for my elective. They were quite reluctant at first, but give the OK sign eventually... So wat's wrong now? They can't stop complaining that how hard they have worked all day and here I am, enjoying myself all the time! WAT?! I've juz went thru a really exhausting exam period, so can't I take a month off enjoying myself? Then they'll go, "U should be teaching ur bro n sis! They're having major exams this year (UPSR & SPM)! See how hard we work all for u guys, did we ever complain about it? No! We work so that u guys can..." and it goes on and on. Argh... It's tough living with parents who are workoholics! But well, experience has taught me that this is a normal process (at least for me), and I know that I'll enjoy this eye-opening trip for sure... So I guess I'll juz ignore this uncomfortable feeling for now la.

 
Anyway, went to 1 Utama to watch I, Robot with some SOS members juz now. It's the 1st time I'm back to 1U for awhile, and man the new building is really impressive! And as for I, Robot, well, my earlier assumption was both right and wrong. I initially hesitated to watch the movie, for the filmakers did mentioned it's based loosely on Isaac Asimov's book (with the same title), and I'm a big fan of Isaac Asimov. But the problem is, many reviewers has criticized the movie for bearing very little resemblance to Asimov's work. After I've watched the LoTR movies (hated them), I'm seriously worried that Hollywood has butchered another book by a great author.

As it turns out, the movie is pretty decent. Not worthy of Asimov, but at least I dun feel that the movie has insulted my intelligence. The final revelation in the movie was pretty cliche though, but still, it can be worse. The few things that I dun like about the movie:

1. As Roger Ebert puts it:
When they team up against the eventual villain, it's an obvious ploy to create yet another space where characters can fall for hundreds of feet and somehow save themselves.
I find the obvious arrangement of the settings very distracting. There are a few events that happen conveniently in particular settings so that some "cool" matrix-ish action scenes can take place. PLS, no more Matrix-style scenes! I'm SO fed up with it!!!

2. I hate Will Smith. Nv like him, and I guess I nv will. He's always trying so hard to be cool when he so NOT cool. ARGH... Can't stand his "loud"ness too, though I have to admit, he has one cool line in the movie (Watch out for the sneezing part.. Dun wanna spoil the movie for u guys who haven't watched it!).

But like I've said, it's a decent movie. Worth a watch. But I'll strongly recommend you to read Isaac Asimov's book. Much better than the movie, trust me! Same goes for The Lord of The Rings! Peter Jackson's version totally murdered it.

 
Also bought the VCD of Clue while I was there at 1U. It's based on the popular detective board game with the same title (known as Cluedo for the British version). I'm a huge fan of that board game, and ever since I've played the Murder Game at Broga Camp, my interest in mystery has been revived, which explains how I ended up with the 1985 movie VCD. I knew it is funny, but I really nv expect it to be that funny! It is mostly wordplay and a bit of slapstick, and the humor has a British feel with it. It's an instant classic for me! After I've watched the show, I really feel like playing the board game again. Man, talk about positive feedback!!

Hey, since it's the Mega Sales Carnival now, maybe I should buy the board game! Heard that there's some change of rules! Okie, I'll check it out as soon as I return from Tioman! >=)

No comments: