Saturday, July 17, 2004

BROGA CAMP (PART 1)

Man... I've expected Broga Camp to be fun, but I nv expect it to be one of the high points of my life!!! It was definitely one of the best 3 days spent in my life. The only reason I dun blog about it as soon as I returned from the camp is bcuz the phone line at my house somehow goes kaputt! 

Well I'll try to blog starting from day 1... I was the last 1 to reach IMU on the 1st day (Wednesday), but since I was 1 of the drivers to the Broga Camp, no one complains (thank God!). Reached the camp site after about 40 minutes drive and passing thru a really narrow and twisted road. The camp site is 8 km away from a decent town, Semenyih, and there's a small settlement around the camp site. How the small community survives in a place so far from "civilization", I have no idea.
 
The 1st thing we see when we reach the gate of the camp site was the flying fox structure. Man, it's tall! It is 60 feet high, and about 200+ feet across, passing by a pond. Other than that strudture, everything looks kinda... disappointing. Some of us were beginning to worry that we've made a wrong choice in going there... We couldn't have been more mistaken.
 
After a short briefing and unpacking, we began the ice-breaking session. I was kinda horrified when I realized that we'll be playing the Disease Game. That is 1 of the lamest game I've ever came across, yet it seems to be quite popular among the sem 3 seniors... Anyway, it was ok, and we went for lunch soon, which is quite decent (for 1 who is very picky on his food, this is a great compliment!). And then, the 1st activity begins... RAFTING!! 
 
At 1st, I thought that all we have to do is juz to sit in a raft and paddle it, and seeing the small pond, I was kinda skeptic that it will be fun. Again, I was dead wrong. Each group was supposed to BUILD THEIR OWN RAFT!!! We were given 4 thick bamboos, 7 thin bamboos, 4 blue plastic containers filled with air, 20 short red rafia strings and 8 long yellow rafia strings. The objective: Design our own raft, built it, paddle it on the pond to the other side, pluck a leaf there, jum down from the raft and push the raft back shore. The facitilator gave us a few tips, and then, we start to brainstorm on the design of the raft.  

All 3 groups came out with different designs. The Bouncing Bananas designed a raft that was long and narrow, while my team, the Radical Rambutans, and the Marvellous Mangosteens, built the rafts more or less square in shape (The Lost Langsats was broke up and joined to the other 3 teams, since we need more people in each team). After 30 minutes of hardwork, we get to test our raft on the pond.  
 
Guess what? Our team was the only one whose raft dun fall apart soon after the raft was pushed into the pond, and we made it safely to the other shore by paddling alone! The long raft that the Bouncing Bananas built fell apart soon after it was moved onto the pond. The Marvellous Mangosteens weren't very successful either, for they have problem keeping the containers that keep that raft afloat in place. We were paddling our way towards the opposite shore, laughing at the other groups all the way. After we plucked a leaf, we jumped down from the raft and pushed the raft back to the shore where we began. The pond wasn't very deep, so we kinda waded our way back. The soft slimy mud we stepped all the way back has a very unpleasent effect on all of us, as we were all clearly very disgusted by it. After we made it back to the shore, we deconstruct the raft and put everything back to where it belongs... and our group won, of cuz! >=)
 
We started playing Captain Ball soon after that, but too bad, it began to rain. What was interesting about the rain was that we could actually see the stormclouds moving from the top of the mountains, and the rain slowly moving towards us. That was truly a wondrous sight to behold. Since we can't play the ball game, we started to play cards and chit chat at the planks outside our dorm. Since it's the 1st day we were day, the sem 1 and the sem 3 were still quite separated, and we mixed among our own batch more than interacting with the other.
 
Then an even more interesting thing happens... Two archs of rainbow appears!!! And they're much more closer and clearer than all the rainbows that I've seen in my life! It was so gorgeously beautiful, I was juz standing there for about 5 minutes or so starting at it, completely taken away by its beauty, and reminded of God's covenant with Noah after the flood. In fact, it was so beautiful that I begged my friends to take pictures of it, since I dun bring a camera withh me!
 
At night after dinner, we played the Auction Game. We were supposed to use at least 4 items to build something that can catch a ball after it is thrown from shoulder height. The items must be bought from an auction, but the catch was that we can only see the items we bought after they are sold to us, i.e. Aiky only mentioned wat the item for auction, and so they may be a bit misleading. Well, in the end, all the groups built all kinds of weird looking structures, but most of us succeed in catching the ball! My group's structure is one with a ring of cloth on top and a flat piece of dining mat and platic bag at the bottom and strings and strips of cloth around the side, tieing the cloth and mat together. Our group did so well, Lawrence (our group leader) actually challenged the other groups for a tougher game. Thank God our structure was really good and we didn't make a fool of ourselves then!
 
B4 I went to bed, I got to learn a new card game - Bridge! I've heard of it for quite a number of times already, but nv really get to learn it until now. It's really very interesting and addictive game, and also it has a rather different rules than other card games. Really looking forward to play more of it in the future!
 
Heck, I've blog much already, but this is juz the 1st half of the whole thing! There's still the obstacle course, flying fox and high rope crossing to blog about! Guess I'll blog about those another time!


No comments: