Thursday, November 06, 2003

IMU INTERVIEW

Woke up at 8.30 am in the morning... Rushed like hell then... Hahaha... Mum keep on calling me to HURRY HURRY go to my grandma's house to fetch her... By the time we left our house, it's already 9:15 am, and the interview starts at 10! On the way, my mum keep on shouting and screaming [exxagerated], n keep on pounding me that I should have left earlier, like my cousin who reached there an hour earlier b4... etc etc.

Halfway through, around 9.45 am, I actually received a call from IMU, saying that she hope that I'll be able to make it by 10, for the interviewers are there already! When I reached the university, I'm surprised to find that there were actually around 10 that were to be interviewed today... and the last name on the list was Chew Siau Hui, one of my senior in my secondary school! Surprise surprise! Imagine sharing the same batch with her... [Shivers]

As I enter the waiting room and register myself, a girl in a nice dress stepped out from a door. A few seconds later, a middle age guy's head pop out from the door and annouce, "Lee Chong Aik!" Whoa! I barely juz made it in time! It's like... 30 seconds after I enter the waiting room and it's my turn already! The girl who juz left the room was probably the interviewee b4 me! Thank God I'm not late! <=)

Then I was lead into a small room, where a malay lady was seated. And so the 2 lecturers (i supposed they are) began the interview. Well, I'm much calmer than I've imagined I could... The questions ranged from the usual expected one to the tougher ones to the jawdropping "Huh?" one... Well, it starts off with "Tell us about urself, ur background, and ur family..." Sounds easy, rite? I nv prepared for that! Also, when they asked that, how much about me did they really wanna know??? So I juz told them wat I think is relevant... My academics, pre-U programmes, parents' job, and siblings. They even "remind" me I'm from Klang... Duh...

Then came the usual ones... Why u choose IMU, why u choose doctor as a profession, why qualities u think u possess that will make u a successful doctor. There is also a question on the voluntary service I've did at the House of Joy. That came the tough one... The middle age guy wanted me to tell him wat I know about ethical issues... Uh oh... The only one I know that is related to the medical field is the stem-cell technology... And ethics? Hmmm... I think I answer fairly ok in that one... until he asked me about human cloning, in which I seriously have no deep thoughts about... Blegh...

Then the final question, the most jaw-dropping one of them all... "Imagine u have a whole stack of paper clips (the triangle ones). Tell us 10 creative ways u could use those clips..." I was like, WAT?! Uh, ok, they could be joined at both ends to form a electric conductor, as in a wire... They could be used to do some artwork... n I'm stuck... WAT ELSE?! ARGH... Then they started to gimme some clues... "U watch any detective movies?" I try hard and think, but I really can't get the hint... "Lockpicking!" The lady told me... DAMN! Oh why didn't I thought of that?! Then the next clue: "Imagine a child is next to u and u have this big pile of clips"... Er... clip all over him? Hahahahaha, I really said that! Guess wat did she wants? "Teach them to count using the clips!" ARGH... stupid me! >=(

And so ends the interview... I report in at 9.50 am, and I "check out" at 10.10 am... Talk about fast! >=) The interview is juz about 20 minutes long! Well, now that I've think back on the interview, I do find that there are many answers that I could have further improve... But overall, I think I did fairly well... Since they accept 200 students, I figured I stand a fair chance to enter the uni la... Hope my assumption is rite!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Do not ASSUME, or u will make an ASS of U and ME!!"
-- Mr Allan, my chemistry tuition teacher


Get it? ASS + U + ME = ASSUME? Hahahahaha... Hope I haven't juz make an ass of myself! >=)

No comments: