Sunday, December 07, 2003

THE SEALING OF KINSHIP

Went to my godsister's wedding ceremony this morning, which I must attend since I dun attend both the feast yesterday and tonight due to the prom. As for the godsister relationship, I'm not very sure how it all started too. I juz know that I have a couple of godparents whom I met juz about 2 or 3 times the most a year. Previously, I only known them by title, that is, whenever I see them, I juz greet them godfather and godsmother. Well, today, something new turned out...

I'll start with the wedding ceremony 1st. I always find the Chinese wedding tradition cute! Heehee... First off, the bridegroom came to the bride's house, and the bride will be waiting in her room, along with few of her siblings or cousins. Then, the bridegroom will approach the door of the room, but it will be locked. The bride's relations will "demand" a fee b4 they open the door. Both sides will start bargaining (which is hilarious sometimes!), b4 they agreed on a price, slip the money into an ang pow, and give it to the bride. Well, something unusual happened today. The bridegroom and his friends/ siblings pass the ang pow to the bride's relations, but they dun think it's sufficient! So they keep on arguing, with one of them at the bride's side saying is they dun pay more, they can go back and cancel the marriage! Eventually, the bridegroom agreed, and the bride's side opened the door casually...

The bridegroom's side straightaway push full force on the door!! The bride's side rushed to the door and stopped them from escaping the "bargain"... There's one guy from the bridegroom's side who actually sticked his arm and foot towards the inside of the room, so the door can't be shut! The bride's side started slapping the arm and kicking the leg, and I juz stood there laughing at the all idiotic scene. Soon, the door opened, and the bridegroom entered the room, kissed the bride, and took some pictures with their relations. Then, they'll both went downstairs and started the tea ceremony, where they serve tea to all the elders. Then, the ang pow session to the younger ones. Then off the couple go, to the bridegroom's house, which I guessed will be having a tea ceremony too... I dun follow along.

Well, this was the 1st time I actually talked to one of my godbrother, and I must say, I have sudden feeling of attachment, of kinship... They were juz titles b4, I know their face, I greet them with specific titles, that's it... Now, I can't help but feel that... there's sort of a connection between me and my godfather's family... Like a kinship of something... Weird... After more than 10 years since they "adopted" me as their godson, I nv have this... bond b4. I've finally have the interest to chat with them and actually know their background better (remember, my mother's side has a lot of members! So much I dunno how to greet them! Unlike English, different aunts and uncles have different "titles"... And I can't remember them all!). Perhaps this is a new beginning... The sealing o a bond or sumthing... Dunno... Time will tell, I guess... I planned to visit them more often in the future.

Alright, I gotta take my nap now. I'll be leaving for the prom soon, in about 1 hour's time... Hope the clothes I'll be wearing there is OK... And hopefully less guys wear tux or coats... Cuz I'm not wearing one and all I wanted is to blend with the crowd! <=S

No comments: