Wednesday, December 31, 2003

2003 - A YEAR IN REVIEW

Is the title too boombastic? Lol. Well, so it ends. Year 2003. This is definitely the best year I have among my 12 years of studies, cuz nv have I encountered so many different and interesting people in a year b4! It is definitely the year of self-discovery too!

1. Self-confidence boost
I was never a confident guy. Ask anyone who knows me well, they'll tell you I'm full of self-doubt. (Hey, come to think of it, the movie version of Aragorn is full of self doubt too... Does that mean I'm macho? Akakakaka) Well, I guess that's the effect of sumthing that happen a few years back, when I'm treated like a failed committee in a society... Sumtimes I still wonder did I failed in it or juz that my views were unpopular... That self-doubting attitude of mine has caused some negative consequences at me, but thank God, the inferiority complex is dying now...

How did that happen? Well, if ur classmates start calling u 'genius' and all sort of other titles that were meant to make u aware of ur supposed mental superiority, ur egoism will surely be inflated sooner or later. At first, I try to push those remarks away, thinking that they're juz teasing me. After all, I'm juz an average Joe (make that slightly quirky average Joe), aren't I? I'm no one throughout my life, so why now?But soon, I started to think, what if they're serious about it? Maybe I nv realized the potential in me! Then there's Beng, the 'crazy genius' who scored impossible marks. I started to wonder... why is it impossible? Maybe I juz need to try harder...

So when the 2nd semester started, I try pushing myself to the limit... And the results are amazing... 98 for Biology and 97 for Economics? Wow! I used to think those are impossible! That's when I realized I have yet to fully utilised my potential! I'm no genius, no matter how much flattering compliments I've received from my friends (which are quite nice, actually... heehee), but I am gifted, mentally, in some ways. I'm still average in math, but otherwise, I'm quite good in academics. Funny that I nv realized that until now...

Well, I'm more confident of myself now. I accepted the fact that I am gifted in academics, and I'm quite capable of accomplishing my duties well. And I'm not inferior as I thought I was years back!

2. Discovery and Curiosity
I've discovered a lot of stuff this year too. Roti Canai was one of the earliest. Hahaha, can u imagined this... I have nv tasted Roti Canai until the 1st semester of CPU? I remembered how shocked my friends were, and how Kian Fatt pulled me to Canai 'N Such to try them out with Sebastian... Haha... This is also the year when I fell in love with Brit Rock! Coldplay and Radiohead are now my fav bands! These discoveries makes me realized that there's so much out there that I have yet to know, yet to experience... and I'm hungry for them!

Then there's TJ. Haha, it's kinda weird that the both of us were in the same OS class b4 for six months, but nv get to know each other well. It wasn't until the day he asked me whether I have Kazaa or not that marks the real beginning of our friendship. He started to introduce me to a music genre that I've always ignored in the past: Metal. Haha, after all theses months, I still dun find it quite my taste. I also introduced Radiohead to him too, but so far, he juz hate them. Lol. We exchange our views on music through chatting, and also share our problems. Really looking forward to see him again next year at IMU, but it is kinda unfair that he's my senior eventhough I'm older than him!

3. Re-establish Contact with Old Friends
I've managed to re-contact a few of my old friends too this year. 1st up are the brothers Lionel and Jarrett, who shared the same tour trip to Australia with us. We lost contact after we returned to M'sia from the trip, since they live in Malacca and we've both lost the contact number of each other. But thank God, my bro copied the number down on his phone book b4 the number is lost. But ironically, the phone book dissapeared too, and I live in a constant regret for a few years for not contacting them when i have the chance. But the phone book juz shows up all of sudden this year! I've managed to contact Jarrett as a result, but sadly, his bro has already left to Australia for further studies.
Nevertheless, I get to meet Jarrett at Pyramid Alley, and called his bro too!

Also, I've get to meet 1 of my primary school friend too this year! What a coincidence that he's actually my sister's friend's brother! When I was teaching at Kong Hoe during mid-2003, the friend of my sis was my student. She told her bro about me, and he remembered my name! Hahaha... Got to visit him too, and well, he doesn't change much after all this year... except he's more handsome now! Makes me jealous... Hahaha... It's great that I get to meet with him again!

Well, those are the main events I guess... Man, this is the longest post I've ever wrote! Hahaha... Better end here now... I've online for 4 hours adi!

No comments: