Sunday, June 20, 2004

COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA WORKSHOP

Went to the Petronas Philharmonic Hall today at KLCC for the Count Basie Orchestra Workshop... One of the 1st thing that I realized there is that the workshop is actually meant for Jazz fans (as in ppl who are well versed in the history of the development of blues, jazz, bebop etc) or really talented musicians. Nonetheless, I did enjoy myself there. And I can't help but suspect that I will soon grow to really love jazz music...

Anyway, the 1st session was a forum from some of the old timers who has performed with the late Count Basie in the past. Nothing much interest me then, since I know next to nothing on the history of jazz/swing/blues etc. But when the hands-on session finally began, I started to swing with the music. Man, jazz is infectious! And wat's more impressive, it's all impromptu!

Since this is a workshop and not a performance, only a few of the Count Basie Orchestra ppl played there, and the other half was consisted of a few Malaysian Philharmonic players. While 1 few of them are quite good, I'm really embarassed with the others. It is so evident that their level of mastery in nowhere close to the orchestra ppl. But since this is impromptu stuff after all, I gotta give credit to them. Overall, it's an enjoyable experience, and really worth it for RM 10!!!

Hope I actually got to watch a real orchestra performance in the future... Cheapest seat for RM 150!!! So I guess it won't be anytime soon!

No comments: