Wednesday, June 16, 2004

DUBBING/SUBBING DILEMMA

The problem with local distribution of anime DVDs, whether izzit a full-feature anime or a series, is the horrible English subbing (at least to me). And no, I will not watch any anime in English dubbing, unless I have watched it all once in Japanese (with English subtitles, of cuz). Why not dubbing? Try watch the BM dubbed version of Slamdunk and u'll get the picture (btw, that was the worst dubbing I've ever heard of in an anime).

To be honest, not all dubbing are bad. I enjoyed the Cantonese dubbing of Crayon Shin Chan, and of cuz the lovable Doraemon in BM (ah... those were the days...) Yet from experience (not much, to be frank), most dubbing tend to suck. And I mean really really suck. The voice acting is an ESSENTIAL element in any animation, since we do not remember juz the appearence & personality, but also the voice. A bad dubbing can literally destroy a well-crafted anime title (again, think Slamdunk).

Therefore, there leaves me with only 1 alternative (I can't understand Japanese!): Watching it in Japanese with English subtitles. But there's another problem... Some subs are really really awful!!! And I dun mean awful only in the sense of grammars. Heck, they can't even get the spelling of the characters' NAME right!!! The worst I have seen is Vicious (the villain from Cowboy Bebop) is subbed as Ri Chasu!!! Oh come on, it can't be that bad right? NO, IT IS THAT BAD!!!

And now that I've found out that Eric actually owns the DVD series of Trigun and he wanted to sell it to me at a lower price, I'm really hesitating to buy it, not bcuz of the investment involved, but the subbing problem. He said that it is understandeble, but I can't expect much from it... Man, if only all anime DVDs for sale here in M'sia are fansubs (far better subtitles made by fans)... Sigh... Well, gotta consider this well then...

No comments: