Wednesday, June 16, 2004

INQUISITIVENESS & HELPFULNESS

A friend of mine asked me a question when he was stuck while studying his lecture note. Since I can't give him a 100% accurate answer, I told him wat I think the answer should be, and asked him to check the textbook for a more accurate answer. Guess wat? He's too lazy to find that out, eventhough the textbook is easily available to him then and there! Well, since I wanna know the answer myself, I checked it out & told him later...

But I can't help but wonder... If u have chosen Medicine as ur course and aspiring to become a doctor in the future, then u should be at least interested in the stuff u r studying. Then how can u be "lazy" to get the answer to ur questions? If the condition is not very convenient, or ur friend can help u out then and there, that's ok. But if no one can help u, isn't it best, no, isn't it a MUST that u look for the answers urself?

Then, there's this other guy. I have some difficulty recalling a learned concept in CPU, and so I asked him a simple question which only require a simple answer. If he needs to pay attention to the lecture and therefore he can't explain it to me there and then, that's fine on me. And if I have a textbook with me which I can check, then I should have look for the answer myself (I dun have it btw). But not only did he refuse to asnwer me, but give me a rather sarcastic reply to show how stupid I am not to know the answer. Ouch...

Why do some ppl have to be SO mean? I really can't understand. All I asked is juz a little help, and I dun mind if I dun get any. But wat did I do to deserve such a insult? When I dunno something, I SERIOUSLY dunno something. I nv ask sumthing juz for the sake of annoying someone, even if the answer is so obvious to that person. How do society promote the value of bu chi xia wen (Mandarin - nv be ashamed to ask) if everyone is so not keen on enlightening others? Sigh...

B4 I enter IMU, I kinda imagine the ppl here to be helpful, friendly & inquisitive (all of us are aiming to be future doctors right?), and although I have to say that I'm not totally disappointed now that I'm here, I still can't understand certain ppl here. Why are they here in IMU at the 1st place? I have no idea...

No comments: