Friday, June 18, 2004

WHERE DOES LIFE BEGIN?

An interstellar burst
I'm back to save the universe
Radiohead - Airbag


Where does life truly begins? Does it starts rite after the fertilization of an ovum by a sperm? But then again, both the individual sperm and ovum ARE alive at the 1st place, rite? Then, if a bunch of newly fertilized cells are aborted before they have human features such as head, limbs etc, izzit murder? I mean, during the blastocyte stage, they are merely 16 cells or so. Disposing them doesn't equates to murder rite? I mean, when u cut urself, u may actually "killed" more cells than that... So why izzit unethical?

And, wat if a couple has found out that their 1st child has cystic fibrosis (a genetic disorder), and wanted a 2nd normal child? The probability of them getting a normal child is 3 out of 4 (I'm including "carrier" status as "normal"), yet there is still a chance that their next child will be abnormal too. One way to prevent that will be retrieving ovums from the mother and sperms from the father and fertilize them in vitro. Then, a normal fertilized ovum with no genetic defects can be inserted into the uterus and there u have it, a normal child!

But if there are 10 ovums that are fertilized and only 1 is normal... wat u do with the other 9? We were discussing this in our PBL sessions when I straight away answer that they could be disposed la. As I expected, it shocked many ppl there. The majority argues that all 9 fertilized ovums are "lifes" themselves, and to dispose of them is murder. But I can't help but wonder... Do u actually grieve when a slough of ur cells are cut out from ur body during injuries? Do u call it "murder"? Of cuz not! They are juz cells after all! No conciousness, thoughts, feelings... NONE!

And if we argue that we should juz leave all to chance, that who will bear the responsibilities when the newborn child has cystic fibrosis? Of cuz, most of us will say it's God's will, and thus it is no one's fault. But as future doctor, my aim is to save life and reduce suffering, isn't it? Do we have the right to decide whether this child should come to this world with a disorder that will probably kill him in 30 years time, eventhough treatment and etc will be given unto him? Not to mention the years of suffering he/she has to go through!

Few months ago, someone sued his parents for giving birth to him with cystic fibrosis. Yes, I agree, that's outrageous, but now that we have the ability to prevent such tragedy, shouldn't we do so? As a future doctor myself (at least I hope I can be), it is my duty to prevent such tragedy from occuring. Therefore I dun think killing of a few fertilized cells equates murder, and should be done for the good of humanity when necessary.

I would also like to blog a bit on Eugenics... But I guess I dun have the time now... Tai Chi class will begin in 30 minutes time. Meybe next time la!

No comments: