Monday, June 30, 2003

THE TRUMAN SHOW

So... When was the time I became a movie fan? I'm not so sure anymore... But I do know that www.rottentomatoes.com is the main factor that caused me to became one!! When I first discovered that site, I often visited it to check whether an upcoming movie or one that is presently showing in theaters is worth a watch... As I read more n more of movie reviews by various US film critics, I get to know more n more about older movies.. Curious, I check out the reviews on those movies n even bought VCDs of those.. It was only then that I've found out how many great movies I've missed..

I've just watched The Truman Show on VCD after I read very positive reviews on it... And I must say, it's one of the best movie I've ever seen... Ok, I haven't watched a lot of movies till now, but compared to friends around my age, I've watched more movies then they did... or at least, good movies!! Anyway, The Truman Show is one of the best movie I've seen!! Did I juz repeated myself? Nvm... here's the synopsis:

Truman Burbank is the star of the most popular show in the history of television. For 10,909 days, it has been on the air, using 5000 cameras to show every moment in every day of the life of one man. The public loves it -- there are Truman addicts who go to sleep with the TV on and who have sets installed in the bathroom so they don't miss anything when they're taking a bath. Every individual in "The Truman Show" is an actor with one important exception: the lead character himself. For, while everyone around Truman is playing a part, he is cheerfully ignorant about the truth. He thinks this is all real, and his obliviousness to the situation gives the program its core appeal -- that there's nothing counterfeit about Truman. One day, however, when a former member of the cast sneaks back onto the set with a warning for the star, Truman begins to suspect that appearances can be deceiving...

The movie is strangely, funny, disturbing, thought-provoking, and touching at the same time... I always hated Jim Carrey's acting bcos of his zany character and that horribly fakish rubber face he wear in all the wacky comedies he stars in... But he is surprisingly good in this movie!! But my favourite character would be Christof, played by Ed Harris... He's kinda like a god over his creation- that is, the 20 miles studio set where Truman "stays" at... I'm impressed every time he's on screen... He's juz so... charismatic, artistic, ingenious... Oh I give up!! I juz can't describe how good this movie is!!! If any of u haven't watched this movie yet, go buy, borrow or rent it as soon as possible!! Believe me, it's that good!! =) For those of u who need more convincing, click here to see for urselves the movie reviews from most of US film critics!




No comments: