Wednesday, September 10, 2003

ME NOT OBSESSED WITH TOLKIEN!!!

I have enough!!! I will make my stand clearly now!!! I am not, I repeat, I AM NOT OBSESSED WITH J.R.R. TOLKIEN'S WORKS!!! Appreciate and admire are better terms!!! Here's a few example of signs os obsession in the US during Tolkien's time:

...Lapel badges began to appear bearing slogans such as 'Frodo Lives', 'Gandalf for President', and 'Come to Middle-Earth'... Members of fan clubs held 'hobbit picnics' at which they ate mushrooms and drank cider, and dressed up as characters from the stories... Among the graffiti that could be seen on American walls was: 'J.R.R. Tolkien is Hobbit-forming'...

And these from the non-US... Dancer seen bearing the lidless eye of Sauron on his shield (at Vietnam), Frodo Society formed (At North Borneo), Students at Warwick University renamed the Ring Road around their campus 'Tolkien Road', and a 'psychedelic magazine' entitled Gandalf's Garden was issued with the avowed objective 'to bring beautiful people together'.

So, wat's Tolkien's reaction on these obsessions? He referred to the widespread enthusiasm for his books as 'my deplorable cultus', and here's his statement after been asked by a reporter if he was pleased by the enthusiasm of the young Americans: 'Art moves them and they don't know why they've been moved by and they get quite drunk on it. Many young Americans are involved in the stories in a way that I'm not.'

Ahha! See? These fanatics don't know what moved them, by I do!!! It's the sheer grandeur, beauty, heroism and tragedy of Tolkien's stories that moved me!!! And though I often talk about Tolkien and his works, I never wear a hobbit costumes b4 or dye my hair blond and tied like a ponytail as an elf!! (Eventhough only one elf I knew so far that actually has blond hair in the book... And he did not even appear in the movies!!) Yesss, I do talk like Smeagol sometimess, but it'ss juz for fun! Isn't it, preciouss? Oops... Nvm, u got my point! ;)

Therefore, I will make my stand clearly that I'm not OBSESSED with Tolkien or his works. But I do really admired his works, juz as many admired Shakespeare's and quote from his works!!! I will tolerate no more finger pointing at me for being Tolkien-obsessed anymore from anyone!!! U hear me, Sebastian?! >=(

Sent my sis to airport yesterday... She went for a trip to Korea with my relatives... Sheesh... She's almost half my age, but have been through more countries then I have!!! She's been to China, Vietnam, Japan and Korea now, while I never get the chance!!! We've been to Australia and Thailand in the same trips, but not Singapore... Oooo that lucky girl!!! Jealous jealous... Heehee...

No comments: