Wednesday, September 03, 2003

SHERLOCK HOLMES GALORE!!!

Juz came back from Bukit Raja Shopping Centre. Finally, I saw what that I've been searching for a long long time... Sherlock Holmes compilation!!! YEA!!! But the bad thing is... There are 4 choices, and each with its pros and cons!!! Dang!!!

Well, 1st off we got the COMPLETE version, which includes everything on Sherlock Holmes that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has ever written!!! But the bad thing is... It's too wordy and all cramped up!!! I doubt the book can sustains me long enough to enjoy the tales... Too many words cramped in one page!!! With two columns oso!!! Sigh... It was a good deal... RM 43.90 for everything!!! Furthermore, no illustration!!! Yes yes, u can argue that using our imagination is better, but u must know that the description of the scenes in all Sherlock Holmes stories is very detailed, and, to be frank, the author dun do so good in it. J.R.R. Tolkien would have done better!!! >=) But then, he's a linguist, not a mystery writer... So can't compare la!!!

Then we have two separate books that made up the complete version, one with all 56 short stories, the other with 4 novels. It's illustrated, but in very poor quality. But hey, they're COMPLETE!!! Sheesh... Very tempting... RM 29.90 each.

And last but definitely not least, there's this one with one novel and 32 short stories (I think so... not so sure). Of course, by the sound of it, this probably is the inferior one, rite? WRONG!!! It's all taken from the Strand Magazine, a paper in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century (1891-1905)!!! It has a very classic look, and the illustration, although exactly the same as the above mentioned 2 books (they were all from the strand mag), are superior in quality and clarity!!! Sigh... Too bad there's only limited short stories n only one novel... But the most arty among them!!! RM 33.90...

And so, decision time!!! I could have spent an entire hour (probably more) juz deciding which book should I buy, but my mum is in a hurry... So I got to choose fast... First, I discard the complete version one (*wince*), for wat's the point of buying a book that may not sustain ur interest long enough to finish it?! So, OUT! Next, the novels version is out, for I've read 2 of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novel already, and the short stories are better. So I'm left with the complete short stories version and the arty one... It's a tough choice... and I got so little time!!! In the end, I choose the arty one, since the quality is superior, and the later short stories of Sherlock Holmes aren't so good anyway (The classics one ROCKS!!!) So there I go... Hope I will not regret it... <=)

Well, finally bought Radiohead's album... But not the album I want!!! Actually I was looking for OK Computer, but I can't get it, so I settle with Kid A. Hope it's nice... I haven't sample it. And another thing... I like the Final Fantasy VII midis so much I download all of them!!! 96 midis in total!!! But very small size actualy... Below half a megabyte!!! Great!!! >=) And I'm thinking of playing Aerith's theme in my blog... But it the music saddens me too much... Aerith's purity, beauty, light-heartedness, n ultimately, her sacrifice... Sob... :'-( Well, maybe later... After I'm bored of the Chocobo theme first!!!

No comments: