Thursday, July 24, 2003

ON DISRESPECTFUL, LAZY-TO-THINK STUDENTS

Mr. Kuah show his first sign of anger today... Or izzit anger? I can't identify his expression... I guess it's a mixture of disapproval, shock, n... disappointment? I dunno... He really looked weird... But one thing's for sure: He ain't happy... (duh...) Yet I kinda emphatize with him, since I was a teacher for a month b4... U do ur best to teach the students, yet they are unrespectful n some even completely ignores ur presence... Erm, guess I'm going too far ahead... Let's start from the beginning...

There's 2 guys in my econ class [I only remember one is Alex... Nvm, not worth remembering >=( ] who was present when Mr. Kuah took our attendance yesterday, but disappeared after that for the entire period... Since they dun even have bags or books or anything, they r like juz... puff!! Of course, Mr. Kuah noticed that, n erased their attendance. Then today, they came late to the class, n they actually dare to tell Mr. Kuah they have attended the class yesterday. Being a nice guy, Mr. Kuah gave them one more chance (Too lenient, in my opinion) without a stern warning... U'll expect the guys to at least felt embarassed n behave themselves by then, dun u? Guess wat? One of them juz walk to the seat in front of me (Ting Ting is absent today, dunno y) pull the chair all over to the other side, n sit beside his fren... It's not that he sit behind a desk, but beside one!!! Without asking permission from Mr. Kuah n watsoever!!! Mr. Kuah really looked shocked then!!! Mr Kuah told him to sit at the seat in front of me, but not there beside his fren... N he's like trying to convince Mr. Kuah to let him sit there!! I'm disgusted... They behave juz like my primary skool students then!!! It was then that Mr Kuah talks in a very different manner then wat he usually did...

I'm also very unhappy on the lack of respect to teachers when the teacher is juz right in front of them. Ok, it's natural to dislike some of your teachers, n complaining about teachers is also very normal, but can't we at least respect them (albeit grudgingly) when we're in class? They r our elders, n no matter wat lousy teachers they r n how much u dislike them, they deserved some respect!! I'm not talking about a few "unique" students who show signs of disrespect, but the MAJORITY. One example is on going to the toilet while the class is commencing. I've seen countless students walking out of class juz like that, even when the teacher is still teaching!!! HELLO!!! Dun we learned all these manners since primary school? Can't we at least ask the teacher's permission 1st? "Sir, may I go to the toilet, pls?" Juz 8 simple words? Or izzit juz me that think that we should ask permission 1st b4 we leave the class? Juz waltzing out of the class is a very disrespectful gesture to me!!!

And next, the attitude of certain students... When I was teaching, I really dislike the students' habit of asking me to tell them the answers word by word juz after I explained to them... I discussed with the students about the question, n explained everything they need to know to write down the answers for themselves. But everytime (or at least almost...) I finished my explanation, the 1st thing many of the students will ask is:"So wat's the answer?" I really hate it when that happens... The students are spoonfeed for so long that they cannot, no would not use their brain to think n write down the answer using their own words!!! And while I'm explaining, many of them also aren't paying attention to me... It's only when I'm going to the next question that they started to "panic" n asked that stooopid question...

Still, I can still forgive them for behaving that way, since that they're still primary skool students... But today I've made a shocking discovery... Some college students behaved juz exactly like that!!! Mr. Kuah discussed the questions in much details, n even drawn graphs n figures to explain to us. And when he finished, a girl juz asked, "So wat's the answer?" Sigh... There's little hope for students like her to excel if they dun start to think more n be rely less on the teacher's answers!!! Are we really spoonfed for that long till we have lost the ability to write down the answers in our own words? Sigh... <=(

No comments: