Friday, July 11, 2003

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS QUOTES

I was looking through a LONG LONG list of famous movie quotes, and I found out that all of my favourite quotes are from Dr. Hannibal Lecter and Agent Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs...



Scary cover, eh? Wait till u watched that show... In fact, it still gives me the chills whenever I think back on that movie... If u haven't watch it, feel free to borrow it from me!! I have the vcd... But the audio quality is really disapointing... So I'll share some of the great quotes in the movie below!! But before that, let me introduced a bit on the movie first...

Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins will likely be forever associated with their roles in this bone-chilling masterpiece, based on the novel by Thomas Harris and directed by Jonathan Demme. FBI trainee Clarice Starling (Foster) is sent by her supervisor (Scott Glenn) to interview ferociously intelligent serial killer Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter (Hopkins) at his cell in a Maryland mental hospital. The FBI hopes Lecter can provide insight into the mind of killer-at-large, Buffalo Bill (Ted Levine), whose current abductee happens to be the daughter of a senator. Intrigued by Clairice, Lecter demands information about her personal life and in exchange for clues, and the two begin to form a strangely intimate connection, with a girl's life hanging in the balance. Starling is gradually revealed as a woman struggling out of her own darkness, bound to aid the dysfunctional males around her on their own paths of transformation, liberation, and destruction. This is a film of brilliant and disturbing beauty that transcends its B-movie origins (though it does honor them with a cameo appearance by Roger Corman). Its enduring influence has led to a slew of similarly dark-toned serial killer films, and a sequel, HANNIBAL (2001).

THE QUOTES FROM THE MOVIE

Crawford: Believe me, you don't want Hannibal Lecter inside your head.


Dr. Frederick Chilton: I am going to show you why we insist on such precautions. On the afternoon of July 8th, 1981, he (Lecter) complained of chest pains and was taken to the dispensary. His mouthpiece and restraints were removed for an EKG. When the nurse leaned over him, he did this to her.
[pulls out photo]
Dr. Frederick Chilton: The doctors managed to reset her jaw more or less. Saved one of her eyes. His pulse never got above 85, even when he ate her tongue.


Dr. Lecter: Why do you think he removes their skins, Agent Starling?
[sarcastically] Enthrall me with your acumen.
Clarice Starling: It excites him. Most serial killers keep some sort of trophies from their victims.
Dr. Lecter: I didn't.
Clarice Starling: No. No, you ate yours.


Dr. Lecter: You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars...while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI.
Clarice: You see a lot, Doctor.


Dr. Lecter: A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. [A sucking sound, like wat u hear when someone suck up a single strand of noodle, is made by Lecter after that]


Murray: Is it true what they're sayin', he's (Lecter) some kinda vampire?
Clarice: They don't have a name for what he is.


Dr. Lecter: Good evening, Clarice.
Clarice: I brought you your drawings, Doctor. Just until you get your view.
Dr. Lecter: How very thoughtful. Or did Jack Crawford send you in for one last wheedle before you're both booted off the case?
Clarice: No, I came because I wanted to.
Dr. Lecter: [tut tut] People will say we're in love...


Dr. Lecter: First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?
Clarice: He kills women--
Dr. Lecter: No! That's incidental. What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by killing?
Clarice: Anger, social resentment, sexual frustration--
Dr. Lecter: No, he covets. That's his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer.
Clarice: No. We just--
Dr. Lecter: No. Precisely. We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? I hardly see how you couldn't. And don't your eyes move over the things you want?


Dr. Lecter: After your father's murder, you were orphaned. You were ten years old. You went to live with cousins on a sheep and horse ranch in Montana. And...?
Clarice: And one morning, I just ran away.
Dr. Lecter: Not "just", Clarice. What set you off? You started at what time?
Clarice: Early, still dark.
Dr. Lecter: Then something woke you, didn't it? Was it a dream? What was it?
Clarice: I heard a strange noise.
Dr. Lecter: What was it?
Clarice: It was -- screaming. Some kind of screaming, like a child's voice.
Dr. Lecter: What did you do?
Clarice: I went downstairs, outside. I crept up into the barn. I was so scared to look inside, but I had to.
Dr. Lecter: And what did you see, Clarice? What did you see?
Clarice: Lambs. The lambs were screaming.
Dr. Lecter: They were slaughtering the spring lambs?
Clarice: And they were screaming.
Dr. Lecter: And you ran away?
Clarice: No. First I tried to free them. I -- I opened the gate to their pen, but they wouldn't run. They just stood there, confused. They wouldn't run.
Dr. Lecter: But you could and you did, didn't you?
Clarice: Yes. I took one lamb, and I ran away as fast as I could.
Dr. Lecter: Where were you going, Clarice?
Clarice: I don't know. I didn't have any food, any water and it was very cold, very cold. I thought, I thought if I could save just one, but -- he was so heavy. So heavy. I didn't get more than a few miles when the sheriff's car picked me up. The rancher was so angry he sent me to live at the Lutheran orphanage in Bozeman. I never saw the ranch again.
Dr. Lecter: What became of your lamb, Clarice?
Clarice: They killed him.


Dr. Lecter: Ready when you are Sgt. Pembry. [Lecter picks up a small knife, then proceed to the near-unconcious Sgt. Pembry to enjoy his... meal... while a classical music is played at the background...]


Dr. Lecter: I have no plans to call on you Clarice. The world's more interesting with you in it. So you take care now to extend me the same courtesy.
Clarice: You know I can't make that promise.
Dr. Lecter: I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye. [Lecter hung the phone, then start stalking his "prey"... If u dun get it, think "having an old friend for dinner" as "having a lamb chop for dinner"...]


Brrr... r u shivering now?? It's worth a watch... Dr. Hannibal Lecter is so so disturbing... One of the scariest movie I've ever seen... So... interested in borrowing, anyone?? >=)

No comments: